The Catholic University of America

I think my rommate/friend may have an eating disorder.

Try to speak with the individual privatelyand let them know that you are concerned and would like to help. It may be less threatening to them to be approached by just one or maybe two people rather than a group. State exactly what has caused you to be concerned in a non-judgemental way. Do not argue about whether or not there is a problem. You can not force the person to change their behavior or to think differently. Encourage the person to call either Student Health Services or the Counseling Center. Offer to go with them and wait while they have their first appointment. If the person resists treatment and the worrisome behavior continues, talk to your RA, Area Coordinator, the Dean of Students, or the Student Health Services Director.